Apr 15, 2024  
2008-2009 Academic Catalog 
2008-2009 Academic Catalog [Published Catalog]

Graduate Admissions

Click on any of the following links for information:

Graduate Admissions
Non-degree Admissions
Other Admissions
Who Needs to Take an English Language Proficiency Test

The university seeks to attract to its graduate programs excellent students who demonstrate the ability to do creative and original work. A graduate applicant must have an acceptable bachelor’s degree with a record at the required level as mentioned below, be proficient in the English language, be in good health, and perform well on any required entrance examination. As space is limited, actual acceptance depends upon the overall merit of the applicant’s academic record and the number of students that can be accommodated.

Graduate Admissions


A graduate applicant must complete an application for admission, including all requested materials such as transcripts, personal statement, experience, medical certificates, etc. A file for each applicant is prepared by the Office of Graduate Admission to ensure that the applicant meets the minimum university requirements as described by the university catalog. The file is then sent to the appropriate department for recommendation. After examining the file, the department forwards it with recommendation to the dean of the school, who will send the file with decision to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research (OGSR) for review. A letter is sent out to the applicant giving the type of admission, advising and registration dates, and the required fees. The files of those applicants who enroll at AUC are sent to the Office of the Registrar by the second week of the term for which they enroll.

The OGSR prepares and prints the Graduate Application Form to be distributed through its outreach efforts.

Criteria for Admission of Graduate Students

The university requires the following minimum standards in admitting graduate students. Actual admissions for a given program may be at a higher level as specified by the department.

Applicants for graduate study must have an acceptable bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree with an academic record at a level sufficient to qualify for full or provisional admission as described under “Categories of Admission” below. Additional criteria such as the following may also be considered when evaluating a candidate for admission to the graduate program:

  1. Performance as non-degree student showing evidence they are prepared for graduate level courses.
  2. Test scores (GRE, GMAT, etc.) that suggest potential.
  3. Maturing time since undergraduate experience.
  4. Work experience in a field related to the program applied for.
  5. Strong faculty advocacy with written intent to mentor the student.
  6. References from instructor and/or employer speaking to motivation and maturity.
  7. Personal interview.

English Language Proficiency

An applicant must demonstrate a knowledge of English adequate for graduate study in that language. For full admission to the University, a graduate applicant must attain the required score on either the AUC ELPET examination or the TOEFL (with TWE) examination. An applicant may be exempted from these examinations if he or she is currently enrolled in, or a graduate from an accredited university where the language of instruction is English. An applicant who does not attain the minimum test score but who is otherwise qualified for admission is placed in an English Language Institute (ELI) course for further language study. Please refer to “Who Needs to Take an English Language Proficiency Test” at the end of this section.

Computer and Library Skills
Graduate students may be asked to demonstrate a minimum competency in use of computers and academic libraries as they relate to graduate study and research.

Entrance Examination
The department of major may require applicants to sit for a graduate entrance examination, such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), whose results will be considered at the time of admission.

Medical Examination
A recent medical report stating that the student is physically and mentally capable of doing university work should be submitted with the application.

Medical Insurance for Non-Egyptian Applicants
It is recommended that non-Egyptian students have health and accident insurance which will cover them while they are in Egypt. In addition, all non-Egyptian students are required to enroll in the medical insurance service plan offered by the American University in Cairo which provides for limited care at a specified hospital in Cairo. Exemptions are made only for those non-Egyptian students who reside in Cairo with their families, or who are provided for by their companies, embassies or sponsoring agencies in Cairo. The medical service fee will be announced by the Office of Student Financial Affairs every year.

Categories of Admission

There are two categories of graduate admission, depending upon the qualifications of the applicant.

  1. Full Admission Full admission may be granted to entering students who have met any of the following requirements:
    1. A B.A. or B.S. degree with an overall grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 or its equivalent, and 3.0 or its equivalent in the major.
    2. An overall average of gayyid giddan on a B.A. or B.S. degree from an Egyptian national university.
    3. A graduate degree with a minimum overall average of gayyid giddan or ‘B’ if the degree is closely related to the intended major.

    Additionally, the department of the major may require satisfactory performance on an examination. Full admission may also be attained by fulfilling the conditions specified under the provisional admission category below.

  2. Provisional Admission Provisional admission is granted to those entering students not qualifying for full admission but who have additional attributes that give them a high potential for success in a given graduate program.

Under provisional admission a student may be required to take a number of specified prerequisite courses. Students are required to achieve a ‘B’ average in these prerequisite courses or their admission at AUC will be discontinued. In some instances, students may not be required to fulfill any prerequisites while on provisional status; however, in this case they are considered on probation and must achieve a minimum ‘B’ average in the first semester (or two graduate courses) or they will be dropped from the program.

Graduate Diploma Programs

The university offers several graduate diploma programs for which the bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree and a high grade-point average are normally prerequisites, but for which individual maturity, in-service training, or experience may provide an even more valuable background.

When recommended by program faculty, students may be accepted for diploma programs without commitment or expectation of future admission for a master’s degree.

Only applicants holding bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degrees may be accepted for prospective award of diplomas.

Non-degree Admissions


An applicant not seeking an AUC degree but who wishes to take AUC courses for academic credit may be admitted as a nondegree student if he/she meets the minimum requirements for graduate admission. A number of places are set aside each year for such students, most of whom take a year away from their studies at another institution for study and living experience in Egypt. Since AUC is a U.S. accredited institution following an American system, students from U.S. universities are usually able to transfer their AUC credits to their home institutions, but they are advised to check in advance. Nondegree applicants follow the same procedures for admission as degree-seeking students and should enclose transcripts of their undergraduate work.

Upon request, the university may approve a change of status from nondegree to degree student. If a graduate nondegree student should become a degree candidate, the department of major will consider accepting credit for courses taken under nondegree status. All academic regulations applicable to degree students will apply retroactively with such change of status.

Other Admissions


Transfer Credit

Upon the recommendation of the student’s department to the school dean in consultation with the Office of Graduate Studies and Research and the Registrar, a graduate student may normally receive up to six credits for graduate level work completed at a different university. The course work may not have been used previously to earn another degree. Any request for the acceptance of transfer credit towards an AUC degree shall be carefully considered by the department concerned before submitting a recommendation to the school dean for approval. Two major considerations shall be: relevance to the student’s program of study, and time lapse since taking the courses for which transfer credit is requested. Approval of the School Graduate Committee must be received for more than six hours of credit.

Summer Admissions

The University does not usually admit degree students during the summer semester, but exceptional cases may be brought to the attention of the Director of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for consideration.


A student who has withdrawn in good standing and wishes to return to the university after an absence of one or more semesters may apply for readmission. Application must be made before the appropriate application deadline, and the applicant must meet all the admission requirements prevailing at the time of readmission. Re-admission is not granted automatically.


Those who wish to attend individual classes may apply as auditors; however, they may not sit for final examinations, nor receive academic credit or any university certificate of enrollment. Auditors do not have to meet all requirements for regular admission but must apply to the Office of the University Registrar by the deadlines indicated on the inside front cover of this catalog. Since permission to audit is on a space-available basis, applicants are not permitted to register until after the registration of regular students has been completed.

Who Needs to Take an English Language Proficiency Test


A. New Students

All new applicants who will be enrolling with regular status, or nondegree students who intend to change to regular status, must provide evidence of academic English proficiency prior to enrollment in any course.

B. Exemptions From English Test

Graduate applicants who hold degrees from an accredited English medium university or applicants who have been accepted by or are enrolled in an accredited English medium university are exempted from presenting evidence of academic English proficiency.

C. Transfer Students

All transfer students except those transferring from an accredited English medium university, are required to take the ELPET (or TOEFL with TWE). Rules governing their placement at AUC are as follows:

Applicants who are transferring from another institution will be placed in Intensive English or Academic English or exempted from any further English requirements, based on their scores on the ELPET (or TOEFL with TWE) as described above.

D. Readmission Cases

All applicants for readmission (excluding disqualified or suspended students) must complete an application for readmission. The TOEFL exam with TWE may not be used by applicants for readmission.

Students who are suspended because they have not passed Intensive English in two semesters and a summer (or three semesters if a summer course is not offered) are required to take the AUC ELPET, and they must demonstrate a level of proficiency for direct admission to Academic English for Graduates or higher. Students who are disqualified because they have failed any Academic English module (ENGL 123, 124 or 125) three times are required to take the ELPET and they must demonstrate a level of English proficiency beyond that of Academic English.

English Level atTime of Withdrawal   Lapse of Time   ELPET Required
Completed required   Less than 24 months   No
Academic English modules successfully or satisfied English requirement   More than 24 months   Yes
Enrolled in Intensive English or Academic English   Less than 6 months   No
    Between 6-12 months   Optional
Enrolled in Intensive English or Academic English   More than 12 months   Yes