Click on any of the following links for information:
The University provides extensive continuing education and training programs to meet the needs of a wide variety of individuals and organizations in Egypt and the Middle East. This section gives a brief description of the programs offered by the School of Continuing Education, the Executive Education, Engineering and Science Services, and the Kamal Adham Center for Television and Digital Journalism. The training programs offered by the Desert Development Center and Social Research are described under their entries in the section on research. For more information about continuing education and training programs, please consult the publications listed by the respective unit or visit the AUC website.
Dean: D. Boraie
Established in 1924, as AUC Division of Extension, the School of Continuing Education (SCE) plays a vital role in community outreach and educational programming in Egypt and the Middle East. SCE originally served as an information center, supporting lectures, films and seminars. From its early beginning, courses, programs and certificates were added, originally in the areas of English language and business and later Arabic language and translation, computers, youth programs, foreign languages, teacher education and logistics management. Today SCE’s instructional programs are divided into five divisions: Arabic and Translation Studies, Business Studies, Computer and Information Technology Studies, English Studies and Youth and Special Studies. Instruction is offered through regular and customized course offerings. Instruction takes place at AUC’s Tahrir, Zamalek and Heliopolis locations and at the newly established John D. Gerhart Field Station in El Gouna. SCE’s programs confer professional certificates as well as grant achievement certificates.
SCE Mission Statement
The mission of the School of Continuing Education (SCE) is to extend the resources of the American University in Cairo to Egypt and the region.
In carrying out this mission, the School of Continuing Education
- develops a variety of standardized and customized non-credit education and training programs for individuals as well as for the businesses and companies in which they may be employed;
- designs programs for personal enrichment across the lifespan;
- works with faculty throughout the university to assist and facilitate the design and delivery of programs to nontraditional audiences often beyond campus boundaries;
- serves as an incubator for the development and testing of new program ideas and projects at the university.
SCE Instructional Divisions
The Arabic and Translation Studies Division offers classes in translation and simultaneous interpreting designed to provide a professional foundation in the interdisciplinary nature and practice of translation and interpretation. An intensive program in the training of Modern Standard Arabic and Spoken Arabic of Cairo Teachers and courses in colloquial Egyptian Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic are also offered.
The Business Studies Division meets the diverse needs of today’s Egyptian and Middle Eastern business markets by offering mini-certificates, professional certificates, advanced professional certificates and certificates of attendance. The certificates provide students and clients with the necessary abilities to succeed in positions in the areas of sales and marketing, accounting, investment and finance, e-business, supervisory management and travel and tourism.
The Business Studies Division is an authorized training center for international associations such as the Cambridge Career Award. The division also offers review programs in the areas of accounting, investment and management such as the Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) and Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
The Computer and Information Technology Studies Division offers the full spectrum of Information Technology courses including programming, computer networking, database management, web designing, multimedia authoring, computer graphics production and e-learning programming.
The Computer and Information Technology Studies Division is a Cisco Regional Academy providing the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) international certification to those who are trained on the technical advancement of networking. The Division is a member of the Microsoft IT Academy Program.
The Computer and Information Technology Studies Division is an authorized training and testing center for the International Computer Driving License (ICDL) certificate. Training also takes place at several SCE sites and the international certificate is granted under the sponsorship of the UNESCO Office in Cairo.
The English Studies Division provides general English language courses at all levels of proficiency, as well as customized courses for members of various professions and for students preparing for the TOEFL, SAT and the Egyptian preparatory and secondary school certificate examinations and intensive, specialized English language courses for students enrolled in or preparing for SCE professional certificate programs. The English Studies Division is experienced in providing nationally and internationally recognized pre-and in-service English language teacher training through its institutional relationships to governmental agencies with the responsibility for improvement of education in Egypt. An example of this is the Ministry of Education’s Language Methodology and Development Program, the first teacher-training program of its kind in Egypt to be conducted via interactive videoconferencing.
The Division also organizes and hosts the annual international Skills Conference - for language education
The Youth and Special Studies Division offers German, Spanish and French language courses for adults, German, English and computer courses for young learners, art courses, and an annual Junior Summer Program for youth between the ages of 6-14 years. The Division also offers customized and tutorial courses, seminars and workshops for the benefit of the general public and individual organizations as well as providing comprehensive administrative and logistical management support services for training programs, workshops and conferences.
SCE has also begun a post baccalaureate professional certificate program for teachers and administrators.
Providing assessment and proposals’ support to the instructional divisions are the Educational Assessment and Quality Assurance and the Proposals Units. Other SCE organizational offices that provide services to the entire school are Educational Support Services, the Finance and Administration, the Communications and Marketing, and Smart Village offices.
AUC Smart Village
SCE operates an office at the Smart Village, which serves as a portal to the University for all AUC activities.
For More Information
Information on SCE’s courses, programs and Catalog may be obtained from:
School of Continuing Education
The American University in Cairo
28 Falaki Street, Bab El-Louk, P.O. Box 2511
11511 Cairo, Egypt
Telephone: (20-2) 797-6853
Fax: (20-2) 792- 2643
School of Business (BUS)
Executive Education (EE) within the School of Business (BUS) started in the late 1970s. Since then, the programs have been successful in both local and regional markets and have attracted participants from private and public sector organizations, government entities, multinationals as well as individuals seeking personal development. Today, the portfolio of EE programs offered is considered one of the most diverse and comprehensive programs in Egypt. The programs are delivered through various channels; including the Management Center (MC), established in 1977, targeting middle management and recent university graduates and the International Executive Education Institute (IEEI), established in 2008, offering world-class EE programs to address the needs of current and emerging leaders. In addition to the Citadel Capital Financial Services Center, established in 2006 and The Goldman Sachs Women’s Entrepreneurship and Leadership Center (WEL), established in 2008, which serve as a blended channel to both students and executives.
International Executive Education Institute (IEEI)
Director: Sherine Gad El Mawla
The School of Business launched the International Executive Education Institute, IEEI, in 2008 to address the demand of business in the region for qualified world class education. Since its inception, IEEI has established institutional partnerships with global leaders such as Rotterdam School of Management (RSM) at Erasmus University, Kellogg School of Management at North Western University, National University of Singapore, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT-UK), University of Wisconsin Madison, IE Business School-Madrid, EADA, Professional Risk Managers International Association (PRIMA), Sabanci and KoC in Turkey. IEEI also draws upon prominent faculty from INSEAD and other top business schools to lead executive programs. IEEI designs and delivers both open enrolment and company specific programs for senior executives. In delivering company specific programs, IEEI combines cutting-edge academic knowledge with professional best practice suited to the organization.
Vision: To be the leading regional platform for world class executive development and networking.
Mission: To enable current and emerging business leaders to master the necessary tools to grow their businesses in a challenging global environment
- Executive Development Programs: residential two to three week programs based in Egypt, the US, Turkey, Singapore and other markets are offered. In addition, modular non-residential programs are offered in Egypt and the region.
- Executive Seminars: 2 to 5 day programs are offered on special topics including: Innovation, Leadership, Advanced Management, Advanced Logistics, Risk Management, leadership, Banking and Finance.
- CEO Forum Series: leading international experts share their latest insights and analysis with the business community.
- Company specific programs: designed specially to meet the unique training and development needs of executives in an organization in Egypt and the region., such as General Motors North Africa, Etisalat, Franke, Misr Insurance, African Export Import Bank, The Arab Bank, Housing and Development Bank and Microsoft.
- Global Business Leader Series: designed to expose executives in Egypt and the region to cultural diversity and the challenges of growing a business globally.
- The Real Estate Academy: The Academy has been established in February 2010 in partnership with National University of Singapore and DMG-Mountain View, the founding corporate partner of the Real Estate Academy. The Academy was established with the mission to expose players in Egypt’s large and robust real estate market to cutting edge global trends through superlative executive education programs, study tours and forums, thereby creating a common language in the field of real estate.
- Retail and Customer Service Academy: As a response to the growing demand for retail professionals who have the intellectual and practical abilities necessary to cope with the pace of change in this industry, IEEI established the Retail and Customer Service Academy in partnership with Emaar Misr in March 2012, to provide the market with a high level of knowledge and understanding of the concepts and processes involved in retailing, and to equip the retail workforce with the necessary practical and analytical skills needed for a professional career.
- Logistics Academy: IEEI Logistics Academy was established in January 2013 with its co-founding partner EGYPTRANS and Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, the Netherlands; National University of Singapore; The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, United Kingdom; and Koc University Graduate School of Business, Turkey. IEEI Logistics Academy was established with the mission to develop leaders in logistics; to be an open platform for collaboration and knowledge sharing among all stakeholders; to strengthen the logistics competitiveness of the region, and with the vision to be the leading regional platform for world-class education, development, research and networking in logistics.
Management Center (MC)
Institute of Quality Management (IQM)
Acting Director: T. Wahdan
Established in 1994, the Institute of Quality Management became one of the pioneering institutions in total quality management in Egypt and the Middle East. The institute promotes quality disciplines and systems in the business sector (service and manufacturing). It offers a wide range of educational, training and technical assistance programs for organizations and individuals in the area of quality management. The Institute of Quality Management is supported by a team of experienced, qualified practitioners with substantial hands-on experience to turn quality management principles and concepts into practice.
1. Professional Postgraduate Diplomas (Accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities in Egypt subject to renewal every 3 years)
1.1) Total Quality Management & Quality Management Systems (TQMG).
Total Quality Management (TQM) is a combination of quality and management tools aimed at increasing business and reducing losses due to wasteful practices. An important part of TQM is its philosophy towards continually improving your business and products.
The TQM diploma offers participants a unique opportunity to enhance their skills in the area of TQM. It introduces them to the modern tools and techniques necessary for establishing quality systems that satisfy the requirements of international standards and the objectives of their organizations
- Standards for Quality and Environmental Management Systems
- Planning for Top Quality
- Statistical Quality Control
- Basic Six Sigma Breakthrough Improvement Process
- Project Management
- Managing Quality Functions
1.2) Supply Chain Management (SCMG).
Supply Chain Management diploma tackles the multiple dimensions of supply chain management and its integration with other main approaches like lean manufacturing, Quality management, Supplier relationship management and many other related topics. It provides very distinguished and comprehensive knowledge of the full extent of the entire supply chain and Operations management. It gathers between the direct instructional sessions for the basic knowledge and the direct learning though playing games and performing case studies and analysis on real business cases
It is inevitable for the Supply chain professionals and Management Executives to stream the road for excellence.
- Strategic Management and Business Analysis
- Introduction to Supply Chain Management
- Lean manufacturing, Six Sigma, TQM & Change Management
- Supply Chain Management Implementation
- Supply Chain configuration for Excellence
2. Certificate Programs
2.1) Certified Quality Inspector (CQI).
This certificate is designed for quality technicians to enhance their skills in analyzing quality problems , preparing inspection plans and work instructions, measuring process performance, and preparing formal reports using fundamental statistical methods.
- Documentation, compiling documents and archiving
- Testing and inspection skills, especially sampling inspection
- Calibration techniques and measurement as a verification technique
- Problem-solving skills
- Statistical techniques
- Practical use of Minitab 16 statistics software
2.2) Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt (LSSYB).
The goal of Lean Six Sigma is meeting customer requirements. The term Six Sigma refers to a statistically derived performance target of operating with only 3.4 defects per million opportunities (DPMO). Lean Six Sigma also requires that companies build their businesses around a close understanding of the requirements of their customers, bringing as much discipline and focus to this as they do to internal process-improvement efforts.
- Integrate Lean Six Sigma ideology, approach and methodologies into the work place to improve output quality by identifying and removing the causes of defects and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes
- Understand financial targets (such as cost reduction and profit increase) and help senior management to be customer-centric
- Gather data, participate in problem solving and process mapping, and retain Lean Six Sigma project gains
2.3) Lean Six Sigma Green Belt (LSSGB).
Companies are realizing that they can achieve dramatic results by applying Lean Six Sigma methods to improve their performance. The goal of Lean Six Sigma is achieving near perfection in meeting customer requirements. The term Six Sigma refers to a statistically derived performance target of operating with only 3.4 defects per million opportunities (DPMO). Lean Six Sigma also requires that companies build their businesses around a close understanding of the requirements of their customers, bringing as much discipline and focus to this as they do to internal improvement efforts. The payoff from these methods can be huge, including producing defect-free products within the allotted timeframe, turning every qualified lead into booked business, and always generating error-free invoices.
- Become an effective team player and team leader in Six Sigma projects
- Implement proven methodologies to achieve breakthrough improvements in the overall productivity and profitability of organizations
2.4) Lean Six Sigma Black Belt (LSSBB).
Black Belts are at the core of every Lean Six Sigma implementation. Black Belts are the real change agents in a Lean Six Sigma initiative who continually work towards institutionalizing the effective use of Lean Six Sigma tools throughout their organization. This program follows the Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control (DMAIC) model and teaches the skills required to effectively lead projects.
The program consists of five modules. Each participant applies the training material through the completion of a project, and practical applications are reviewed throughout the program. Additionally, the application of Lean Six Sigma methodology to the different business types, whether manufacturing, development or transactional processes, are emphasized.
- Significant increase profitability through Lean Six Sigma projects
- Apply statistical methods for business process improvement using Minitab software
- Communicate the benefits of Lean Six Sigma as a business strategy across an organization
- Select and coordinate successful Lean Six Sigma projects and project teams
- Practice Six Sigma methodology by completing one Lean Six Sigma project
3) International Exam Preparation Programs
3.1) ASQ Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE).
A Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE) is a professional who leads process-improvement initiatives in a variety of service and industrial settings, from small businesses to multinational corporations with a regional or global focus. A CMQ/OE facilitates and leads team efforts to establish and monitor customer-supplier relations, supports strategic planning and deployment initiatives, and helps develop measurement systems to assess organizational improvement. Recipients of this certification should be able to motivate and evaluate staff, manage projects and human resources, analyze financial situations, determine and evaluate risk, and employ knowledge-management tools and techniques in handling organizational challenges. The CMQ/OE program prepares participants for the American Society for Quality (ASQ) exam by familiarizing them with the ASQ body of knowledge.
- Facilitate and lead team efforts to establish and monitor customer/supplier relations, as well as support strategic planning and deployment initiatives
- Develop measurement systems to evaluate organizational improvement
3.2 APICS Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP).
The Certified Supply Chain Professional program teaches essential concepts related to customer and supplier relationships, continuous improvement, distribution requirement planning, global logistics and international business, as well as e-business vision and strategy. This program aims to prepare participants for the Association for Operations Management (APICS) exam.
- Effectively manage global supply chain elements, including suppliers, plans, distributors and customers across the world.
- Develop skills to ensure consistency and foster collaboration through best practices, common terminology and corporate communication
- Use enterprise resources planning (ERP) systems and other technologies to improve the supply chain process
- Maximize your organization’s ERP investments by millions of dollars
- Increase your professional value and secure your future
3.3) APIC Certified Production and Inventory Management (CPIM)
The Certified Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) program provides background in essential operational and strategic concepts and strategies related to demand management; procurement and supplier planning and relationships; material, capacity, sales and operations planning ; as well as plan execution and monitoring. Topics covered also include master scheduling, performance measurements, quality control and continuous improvement (Lean, Six Sigma, Supply Chain Operations Reference and financial concepts).
- Increase your functional knowledge of production and inventory management
- Improve efficiency across supply chain processes
- Predict outcomes more accurately
- Streamline operations through accurate forecasting
- Maximize customer satisfaction by delivering products and services in a timely manner
- Reduce the cost of purchase items by cultivating a relationship with suppliers
- Increase profitability by optimizing inventory management
- Reduce operation costs and monitor financial performance
- Become certified in production and industry management by The Association for Operations Management (APICS)
The School of Business (BUS), at the American University in Cairo, is home to one of the region’s principal professional development training institutions. In 1977, the Management Center (MC) was established as a center of excellence to serve Egypt and the region, introducing professional development programs using a modern perspective of delivery and incorporating the latest management concepts and techniques. In 2009, the MC moved to its current location at the Falaki Academic Center, Down Town Campus.
The MC provides management education to more than 16,000 trainees annually in its different programs and projects. The MC alumni number, to date, is more than 100,000 managers and trainees from Egypt and the region dedicated to continued networking, professional development and educational activities. The management development programs presented by the MC cover a wide variety of offerings including; postgraduate diplomas, professional certificates, short courses and workshops in addition to tailor-made programs totaling over 300 different topics and titles.
Vision: To be the partner of choice for professional development in Egypt and the region.
Mission: To develop leaders capable of creating a positive impact on business results of their organizations in a growing and changing global marketplace.
Solutions and Services Provided:
• A comprehensive portfolio of professional training and educational programs
• Programs that deliver both classical management theories as well as current and emerging practices and techniques
• The MC provides a wide and diversified array of professional educational solutions in the following areas:
- Professional Postgraduate Diplomas
- Professional Certificates
- Certificate Programs
- Management Development Short Courses, Seminars and Workshops
- Tailor made programs and courses
The MC comprises three institutes: Institute of Management Development (IMD), Institute of Banking and Finance (IBF) and Institute of Quality Management (IQM).
The Institute of Management Development (IMD) -(HR)
Director: A. Touni
The Institute of Management Development (IMD) was founded in 1977 to provide the professional development seekers with a strong foundation in current theory, and the latest management concepts and techniques. The institute affiliates with reputable international institutions offering world class learning experience.
The Institute of Management Development is currently offering professional postgraduate diplomas and professional certificates as part of its portfolio of programs, which also includes management development seminars and short courses and certificate programmers.
Admission Requirements For Postgraduate Diplomas/Professional Certificates have to comply with university regulations and Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities (SCU), as follows:
1) English Proficiency Test: For programs that are conducted in English, applicants must pass Standardized English Proficiency Test (SEPT) or an equivalent valid international English language test
Applicants attending programs at the Egyptian governorates or overseas can sit for the licensed international TOEFL exam in any country or any equivalent test, for reference of different Cambridge tests. http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/exams-info/cefr.html
Validity: 6 Months.
1. Nationals of English Speaking Countries, (Native speakers of English language [USA, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand])
2. Applicants providing graduation certificate of AUC or any other university with English speaking origin (graduate of AUC or [USA, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand] Universities , AUC/SCE English language instructors)
3. AUC Full-Time Staff : Only Managerial levels.
Retake of Test: After one month
2) Education: Applicants have to hold a university degree with grade ‘Good’. If the grade is ‘Pass’, applicant has to present a recommendation letter from employer indicating a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
1. Professional Postgraduate Diplomas (Accredited by the supreme Council of Universities in Egypt subject to acceptance of renewal every 3 years)
Crisis Management (CMGT) This diploma is offered in collaboration with the Postgraduate College of the Police Academy. The program is aimed at developing the scientific and practical experience of staff and managerial and technical leaders working in security and service organizations in coping and dealing with crises and disasters. The diploma encompasses eight courses as follow:
Planning for Crisis and Disaster Contingency
Crisis and Disaster Prevention
Crisis and Disaster Management
Information Communications and Decision Support Systems
Psychological, Social and Mass Communication Prospective
International Cooperation in Confronting Crisis and Disaster
Case Studies for Crisis and Disaster Management
Executive Management (EMGT). This three-semester program offers a comprehensive overview of management issues. The diploma encompasses nine courses as follow:
Management Information Technology
Sales and Marketing
Human Resource Management (HRMD) The diploma offers the necessary knowledge and skills needed by a human resource manager to enhance the performance of the employees through training, incentives, proper work environment and fringe benefits. The diploma includes six courses and a project as follows:
Recruitment and Placement
Training and Development
Compensation and Benefits
Employee & Labor Relations
Human Resource Information Systems
Healthcare and Hospital Management (HHMG): The diploma provides participants with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Analyze and solve managerial problems and make effective decisions that ensure the long term success of their Health Care Organizations (HCOs).
- Develop and deploy appropriate strategies for Heath Care quality.
- Be Familiar with the necessary managerial applications for Heath Care information and its value in guiding the right decisions at the right time.
- Identify and manage the relevant financial aspects to ensure the economic well being of their HCOs.
- Effectively manage the HCO Human Resources and leverage its vital role as a source of competitive advantage and key driver of client satisfaction.
- Apply the relevant marketing concepts and principles to cater to consumers demand for greater value while balancing other stakeholders requirements and expectations.
- Develop a sense of care for their professional ethics and act responsibly towards their society and future generations
- Become self directed life-long learners committed to innovation and continuous improvements.
- Grasp the relationship between outstanding patient care delivery and competent Health Care management and administration.
The diploma consists of the following six required courses and a final graduation project (Over four modules):
Module One: One course “Management One (Management Functions in Hospitals)” course
Module Two: Two courses “Management Two (Human Resource Strategies)” and “Information Systems in Healthcare and Hospital Management” courses
Module Three: Two courses “Marketing Healthcare Centers & Hospitals” and “Finance and Accounting in Healthcare and Hospital Management”
Module Four: One course “Improving Medical Performance (Total Quality Management)” course + the Final Graduation Project.
Total Quality Management for Healthcare Reform (TQMH): The diploma provides participant with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to:
• Lead the quality activities at his/her Healthcare organization by acquiring up-to-date knowledge about quality management through a comprehensive curriculum to drive dramatic and ongoing improvements in health care value in EGYPT
• Use concepts, tools, skills and techniques necessary for application of internationally recognized quality system standards such as ISO 9000 in the Healthcare Organizations in EGYPT to accelerate learning, improvement and sustainability.
• Be an active participant in clinically integrated teams designed from the patient’s perspective (around medical conditions) that would create renown for Egypt health care i.e. teams carrying out planning and improvement projects in the Healthcare Organizations with the 21st century medical technology that should be delivered with 21st century organization structures, management practices, and pricing models
• Acquire about 70% of the body knowledge required for the exam of the Healthcare Quality Certification Board (HQCB) in the United States, and become a Certified Professional for Healthcare Quality (CPHQ).
The program encompasses six courses (over three modules) as follow:
The Basic Six Sigma Breakthrough Improvement Process
Managing Information in Healthcare
Planning for Top Quality in Healthcare Services
Quality / Environment System Standards in Healthcare
Improving Organizational Performance
Sales Management (SMGT). With the rising competition and the rapid change in customers’ purchasing behavior, the need for professional sales force is highly crucial. The Post Graduate Professional Diploma in Sales Management, accredited by the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities resolutions no.151 dated June 3, 2013 as equivalent to the post graduate diplomas in business administration awarded by Egyptian Universities, is designed to prepare sales professionals and managers with the most recent conceptual knowledge and global academic theories & practices with high focus on practical real world application which support them achieving their organizational goals in the currently high competitive & professional environment. This program provides participants with the knowledge, skills, attitudes and activities needed by the active sales force and managers in all levels to function effectively
The diploma encompasses four courses as well as a final graduation project as follows:
Planning the Sales Function
Implementation the Sales Plan
Marketing Principles & its relation to the Selling process
Global and Functional Perspectives of Sales Management
Final Graduation Project
Aviation Management (AVMG): The program is designed to prepare participants to: Identify the role and function of principal organizations involved in regulating, operating, representing and organizing international air transport., apply concepts & principles of service marketing as well as several Ps of providing services, identify and Analyze customers’ needs, identify effectively the segment of their targeted market, develop customers’ needs with product innovation, product quality and effective distribution, develop creative marketing strategies that will help in increasing market share and produce higher profits with lower costs, improve the essential skills needed to influence and motivate their staff to achieve exceptional performance, improve their communication techniques to make good impression and to present a positive self image, identify, analyze and solve problems and difficulties that they encounter most frequently, develop their skills to negotiate positively through most difficult situations with confidence, and develop competency profiles The diploma consists of the following courses + One Final Project:
The Five Mandatory Courses:
• International Aviation
• Air law and International Legislations
• Project Management
• Air Transport Management for Executives
• Strategic Management
The Elective Courses (choose only 4 courses from the list below)
• Negotiation Skills
• Business Crisis Management
• Advanced Sales Strategies
• Leadership and Decision Making
• Managing Airline Stations
• Airline Marketing and Sales
• Managing Distribution Channels and Costs
• Developing Your Managerial Mindset
• Financial Management for Airports and Airlines
• Human Resources for non Human Resource Managers
• Aviation Security Management System
2. Professional Certificates:
2.1) Project Management for Non-Engineers (PMNE): The certificate teaches how to:
• Plan, manage and deliver projects.
• Communicate project management aspects with peers, superiors and subordinates
• Develop project management skills to respond to real-world scenarios
It encompasses five courses (over three modules) as follow:
Management and Leading Change
Finance and Accounting for Non Financials
Project Management Foundations
Project Management Process
Project Management Applications using MS Project & Graduation Project
In addition to the MC General Admission Requirements, One year working experience is required for this program.
2.2) Information Technology (IT):
Professional Certificate in Infection Prevention and Control: Upon completion of this program, the participants will be able to describe Nosocomial infection definitions terms and concepts; assess the ongoing status and design a correction plan for infection control practices; supervise and evaluate the infection control programs; develop an educational program for infection control practitioners; and communicate easily with infection control customers. The program encompasses the following main topics:
• Identification of infectious process and practice of infection prevention and control
• Surveillance and epidemiological investigation
• Supportive services and program management, quality improvement relevant and accreditation
3. Certificate Programs
3.1) Occupational Safety and Health Training: Using authorized trainers, the IMD provides; 30 Hour courses in Construction and/or General Industry Safety and Health hazard recognition and prevention.
3.2) Essential Business Skills: The main purpose of this program is to introduce and familiarize diploma candidates with the essential business skills. By the end of this course, the participants should have acquired adequate linguistic skills in a business-related context. It encompasses two modules, i.e.: Business Writing, Executive Summary and Report.
3.3) Attendance Certificate of Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS 18001): The (OHSAS) specification gives requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, to enable an organization to control its OH&S risks and improve its performance. A company in compliance with the requirements should be eligible to receive a valid certification. This certificate is targeting developing the export capacities of companies within the industrial sector. It was designed in cooperation with the Industrial Modernization Center, and is currently being developed and tested. This program covers: Management systems and occupational health and safety concepts, OHSAS 18001 requirements, Establishing an occupational health and safety management system, Issue an occupational health and safety policy, targets, objectives and programs, Methods for performance measurement and control, Issue and control system documents, case study and workshop.
3.4 Attendance Certificate of Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) Examination Review Program: The program prepares participants to sit for the CPHQ examination, administered by the Healthcare Quality Certification Board of the National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ), and obtain the Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) status. Participants shall be granted a certificate of attendance from the American University in Cairo. Our program covers the Body of Knowledge which Contains 125 items. The following list is merely the titles of each part of the Body of Knowledge: Management and Leadership, Information Management, Performance Measurement and Improvement, and Patient Safety.
4. Management Development Short Courses, Seminars and Workshop Series
The Institute of Management Development offers a number of seminars, workshops, and short courses in different management concepts, theories and applications. These programs can be made available based on the needs and requirements of potential clients.
5. The Institute of Management Development offers short courses in English in the following fields:
Career Development, Career Development Advanced, Essentials for Business Professionals, Human Resources Core, Human Resources Advanced, Personal Development, Project Management, Sales and Marketing, Sales and Marketing Advanced, Supervisors and Managers Advanced, Train the Trainers, Workplace Essentials , Safety and Security, Law Courses.
Current offerings include: Leadership, Communication & Interpersonal Skills, Interviewing & Selecting Outstanding People, Business Skills, Strategic Planning & Goal Setting, Time Management, presentation Skills, Logistics, Human Recourses, Event Management, Performance & Productivity Management, Corporate Creativity & Innovation Skills, The Power of Branding & Corporate Identity, Advertising, Making Process Improvement & Managing Change, Retail Management, Cost Analysis & Performance Measurement.
The Institute of Managing Development offers short courses in Arabic on tailor-made basis in Management Skills, Business Etiquette, Computer Skills, Business Writing, Strategic Planning, Communication Skills, Project Management, Team Building, Training of Trainers, Essential Skills for HR, Email Techniques, Public Relations, Meeting Minutes, Team Building for Leaders, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Archiving, Developing Methods for Measuring Economic Performance.
The Institute of Management Development offers other tailor-made programs on contractual basis based on clients needs assessment.
In parallel to the Center’s Programs and Certificates the IMD allies and /or collaborates with renowned international educational, professional and /or developmental institutions to offer their programs and /or jointly approved Curricula to MC participants.
1) University of London International Programs: The University of London consists of 19 self governing Colleges and 10 other smaller specialist research Institutes.
1.1 International Management Post Graduate Diploma. (IMGD)
Lead College: Royal Holloway, Royal Holloway was founded in 1886. It received its charter from the University of London in 1900 and later merged with Bedford College (est. 1849).
Program Description: Designed to provide participants with specialist knowledge of international business, the program in International Management have been developed by academics within the School of Management at Royal Holloway, University of London. The flexibility of this program allows students to fit their studies around their home and work commitments.
To acquire the post graduate diploma students must complete 7 core courses and 4 electives. Students can finish the program from 1-5 years. The courses that will be offered on campus are as follows:
The 7 core courses are:
1. International Accounting and Finance
2. International Business Economics
3. Information Systems & Operations Management
4. International Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior
5. Philosophy of Management
6. International Marketing
7. International Strategy
The 4 selected elective courses are:
1. Advertising and Promotional Communication
2. International Business Analysis
3. Corporate Finance
4. International Entrepreneurship
Admission Requirements and required documents:
1. Bachelor degree, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or an overall mark of 75%.
2. Official University Transcript.
3. Applicants should pass International TOEFL Test with a minimum score of “91”; or Academic IELTS with a minimum accepted score of “6.5” (with a minimum of 6.0 in each sub-test).
4. A supporting statement, explaining your motivation to study your chosen course.
5. Two academic references
1.2) Diploma for Graduates in Information Systems.(ISGD)
Lead College: London School of Economics and Political Science, Founded in 1895, the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is regarded as an international center of academic excellence and innovation in the social sciences. The School had the highest percentage of world leading research of any UK university, topping or coming close to the top of a number of rankings of research excellence.
Program Description: The program is suitable for graduates of any discipline who wish to secure a stand-alone qualification in information systems. The program is designed to provide a thorough grounding in the principles of information systems while developing critical skills for a wide range of real world professional situations.
To acquire the diploma participants must finish 3 core units and 1 elective. Participants can finish the program from 1-5 years.
The core units are:
Information Systems Development and Management
Information and Communication Technologies: Principles and Perspectives
Research Project in Information Systems
There are 9 elective units which participants get to choose only 1.
Introduction to Information Systems
Information Systems and Organizations
Software Engineering: Theory and Application
Information Systems Evaluation (Half Unit)
Sociology of Information Systems (Half Unit)
The Ethics and Politics of Information Systems (Half Unit)
Introduction to Programming (Half Unit)
Statistics (Half Unit)
Information and Communication Technology Policy (Half Unit)
2) Marketing Communications Professional Diploma of the International Advertising Association (IAA) - USA.
The internationally recognized diploma is considered among the highest professional qualifications in the growing fields of marketing, communication and advertising. The International Advertising Association, in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development, offers a diploma that requires the following eight courses, a campaign and a minimum of a four-week-Internship:
Bases of Marketing
Principles of Advertising
Special Topics (Media Fundamentals or Strategic Brand Management where both will be offered alternately)
Integrated Marketing Communications + Campaign
3) Public Relations Diploma of the (Chartered Institute of Public Relations “CIPR”). Public Relations is quickly becoming one of the most valuable management tools in the region. Effective PR is a vital ingredient for many businesses, reflected in the growing investment in this activity.
Any business is already engaged in PR activities with a concrete contribution to their completive edge and market growth.
The diploma encompasses three courses:
- PR Theory and Practice (Professional Knowledge)
- PR Planning and Management (Vocational Skills)
- Self-directed Research Investigation into an aspect of PR Theory and Practice
4) Marketing Qualifications of the Chartered Institute of Marketing - UK (CIM) The CIM is the leading international body for marketing and business development. It provides internationally recognized qualifications that meet industry needs.
4.1) The Professional Certificate in Marketing (CIM) This certificate gives you the practical skills and knowledge to devise and execute marketing activities and gain marketing credibility. It also aims at providing a practical insight into the principles and applications of marketing at a tactical level. The syllabus has been updated recently to reflect the changing issues and practices within the market and to reflect employers’ views of marketing in today’s business environment. The qualification is ideal for junior marketers, those working in marketing support roles (like personal assistants); or if marketing plays some part in your current job description. The certificate encompasses the below four courses:
Assessing the Marketing Environment
Marketing Information and Research
P.S: Please note that admission requirements for the CIM Certificate require:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University
- Applicants should achieve the required score in the standard English Proficiency Test (SEPT)
4.2 The Professional Diploma in Marketing (CIM). This qualification is ideal for marketers concerned with managing the marketing process at an operational level, as well as those who aim to build on knowledge gained at the certificate level with a future marketing management role in mind. The certificate encompasses the below four courses:
Marketing Planning Process
Delivering Customer Value through Marketing
Project Management in Marketing
P.S: Please note that the admission requirements for the diploma of the cim requires the below:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University
- A minimum of 3 years of marketing work experience is required
- Applicants should pass the marketing Exam
- Applicants should achieve the required score in the standard English Proficiency Test (SEPT)
4.3 The Chartered Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing (CIM) is a challenging, high-level marketing qualification that demonstrates specialist professional knowledge across many areas. It is ideal for marketers working at a strategic level or aspiring to do so. The certificate encompasses the below five courses:
Analysis and Decision Marketing Leadership and Planning
Marketing Leadership & Planning
Managing Corporate Reputation
The Institute of Banking and Finance (IBF)
The Institute of Banking and Finance was founded in 1987 to meet the increasing need for specialized programs in the areas of banking, finance and investment. Due to the introduction of new economic systems and the expansion of international banking and the promotion of foreign investments in Egypt and the Middle East, the institute caters to the needs of professionals and managers by introducing them to the latest trends and applications in the areas of international business, foreign investment, corporate finance, and investment banking.
The Institute of Banking and Finance offers a number of diplomas, professional certificates and short courses on regular bases addressing local and regional needs and requirements, the following professional Diplomas & Certificates are among its portfolio:
1. Professional Postgraduate Diplomas (Accredited by the supreme Council of Universities in Egypt subject to acceptance of renewal every 3 years)
1.1) Banking Credit and Risk Management :(BCRM) The diploma is designed to meet the increasing sophistication of all finance areas & Development of credit & risk. This Program provides the participants with the necessary Knowledge and skills to ensure maintaining high quality of loans, and to develop Credit rational in consistent with the Banks’ strategy.
The program is divided into two parts; Professional Certificate and Professional Diploma with an aim of expanding the participant level from basic and essential credit knowledge required for junior credit officers to advanced courses serving middle level Management and executives working in the Banking Credit department of a bank.
The Program is taught by top professionals from the Market who delivers both Breadth & Depth of current Credit & Risk developments, & provides the essential skills to accommodate related challenges & changes.
Participants should fulfill:
a. Requirements for Professional Certificate; 8 Courses as well as graduation project are required:
Introduction to Finance & Accounting
Economic/ Industry Analysis
Lending Rationales ” Asset Conversion/ Asset Protection”
Financial Statements & Ratio Analysis
Cash Flow Mechanics/ Projections Assumptions
Credit Structuring & Problem Loans
Legal Aspects of Credit
b. Requirements for Professional Diploma, 3 courses are required:
Project Finance & Syndication
Financing and Evaluating SME’s
1.2) Corporate Finance & Investment: (CFIS) In the increasingly competitive Egyptian Environment, firms need to ensure they are properly developing a practical approach to their Corporate and Project Finance Strategies. In this program, participants will acquire both a technical and theoretical approach to a variety of finance techniques. They will also be introduced to different projects, including awareness of opportunities and risks associated with each type of project as well as the analysis and techniques for trading securities and brokerage. It covers valuation of assets, portfolio management and technical analysis.
The program is divided into two parts; Professional Certificate and Professional Diploma with an aim of expanding the participant level from basic and essential corporate knowledge required for junior corporate officers to advanced courses serving middle level Management and executives working in Investment and Corporate Institutions.
Participants should fulfill:
a. Requirements for Professional Certificate; 6 Courses as well as graduation project are required:
Introduction to Finance & Accounting
Economic/ Industry Analysis
Financial Statements & Ratio Analysis
Cash Flow Mechanics
Valuation Of assets
Mergers & Acquisitions
b. Requirements for Professional Diploma, seven additional courses are required:
Lending Rationales ” Asset Conversion/ Asset Protection”
Securities Industry & Capital Markets
Introduction to Financial Derivatives & Bond Valuation
2. Professional Certificates:
2.1) Banking Credit and Risk Management (described above within postgraduate diploma) BCRM,
2.2) Corporate Finance & Investment (described above within postgraduate diploma) CFIS
2.3) Business Advisors Program (BAP) in collaboration with the BDSSP; Business Development Services Support Project; BDSSP is funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and executed by the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC). The project’s mission is to enhance the Facilitation and Provision of Business Development Services (BDS) in Egypt. The establishment of the delivery of the BAP in Egypt is a key to build a cadre of young business advisors who would support the growth and development of Egyptian Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). The program compasses two modules:
· In module 1: Business Planning, participants will learn how to advise clients on how to identify business opportunities, screen and select the most suitable one and develop a business plan.
· In module 2: Business Improvement Planning, they will develop diagnostic skills in marketing, production, organization and finance for existing enterprises, as well as develop a business improvement plan.
In addition, the program places emphasis on counseling skills that are critical to advising SME clients.
2.4) Banking Retail Management Program: This program is newly launched by IBF in affiliation with Dale Carnegie. The program enables participants to develop, design and understand marketing and distribution strategies used by leading retail banks to meet the changing needs of customers, acquire new techniques to maximize sales and improve performance across al distribution channels, enhance cost efficiency and productivity by creating an environment where customers want to buy more products and services.
The program includes five main courses:
- Retail strategies, Corporate Leadership & Distribution Management
- Marketing, Sales & Coaching
- Back Office Management
- Retail Credit Management
- Sales Advantage
3. Short Courses:
The Institute of Banking and Finance offers set of short courses tackling the main issues in the Egyptian Market. Current offerings include:
Finance for Non Financials,
Project Finance & Syndications,
Mergers & Acquisitions,
Banking Retail Management,
Retail for Branch Managers
4. Tailored Programs
Since, IBF’s aim is to offer a very special kind of service for its clients, it offers specially designed tailored programs (either in Arabic or English) to meet its clients’ needs at the time & place convenient for them. Samples of programs offered tailored to Banks and Financial Institutes:
Corporate Banking Credit Program tailored to National Bank of Egypt
Corporate Banking Credit program tailored to Credit Agricole Egypt
Corporate Banking Credit program tailored to NSGB
Basic and Advanced Investment program tailored to HSBC
Intensive Banking Credit program for SME’s tailored to NSGB
Banking Retail Management tailored to BNParibas
Review on Credit Applications tailored to Credit Agricole Egypt
5. Recruitment & Promotional Exams:
IBF also provides Recruitment Services by conducting recruitment exams to different banks in Egypt to support them in the selection process by filtering the best calibers from the market based on certain competencies set by the bank . Moreover, IBF offers promotional exams to evaluate Bank’s staff before being promoted to any managerial levels. IBF offers this service to many banks, Export Development Bank, NSGB, Banque Misr, and others.
6. International Programs:
In parallel to the American University in Cairo’s professional postgraduate diplomas and professional certificates, the Institute of Banking and Finance allies and/or collaborates with international educational and professional institutions, to offer their accredited reputable professional postgraduate diplomas and professional certificates.
6.1 Alliance with London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
Founded in 1895, the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is regarded as an international center of academic excellence and innovation in the social sciences. The 2008 HEFCE Research Assessment Exercise confirmed LSE as a world leading Research University. The School had the highest percentage of world leading research of any UK university, topping or coming close to the top of a number of rankings of research excellence.
LSE graduates are found in senior positions in organizations and government worldwide. Alumni and former staff include 15 Nobel Prize winners in Economics, Peace or Literature and 37 past or present Heads of State.
Program Description: The program is suitable for graduates of any discipline who wish to secure a stand-alone qualification in banking. The program is designed to provide a thorough grounding in the principles of banking while developing critical skills for a wide range of real world professional situations.
The program is developed by academics at The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), regarded as an international center of academic excellence and innovation in the social sciences.
To acquire the diploma students must finish 1 core unit and 3 electives. Students can finish the program from 1-5 years.
The core unit is: Principles of Banking and Finance
There are 8 elective units from which students get to choose only 3:
Valuation and Securities Analysis
Auditing and Assurance
6.2 Alliance with Morgan International: Morgan International is a leading regional provider of educational and training services. With a global approach to service delivery, Morgan International responds to students’ complex challenges with services that span national boundaries. Morgan International offers a broad portfolio of services tailored to the needs of partners, corporate accounts and end users. Staffed by highly skilled international team, Morgan International can meet its customer support service requirements. The Institute of Banking and Finance allies with Morgan International to provide the listed below designations:
CPA Designation: One of the world’s leading licensing examinations, the CPA Examination serves to protect the public interest by helping to ensure that only qualified individuals become licensed as CPA’s. CPA’s typically begin their careers in public accounting because it provides the fastest and broadest exposure to a variety of businesses. However, the traditional role of a CPA continues to expand and includes all aspects of business from performance to growth strategy. Moreover, today’s CPA’s are leaders, as well as close collaborators in high-profile organizational initiatives that require skills far beyond number-crunching.
CFA Administered by the CFA institute, the CFA® program offers you a graduate level curriculum and examination program intended to expand your working knowledge and practical skills relating to investment decision-making. Successful completion of the program and its requirements will earn you the CFA designation, one of the profession’s most valued credentials.
The CFA® program curriculum is drawn from a broad candidate Body of Knowledge that reflects the investment profession’s current theory and practice with emphasis on asset valuation and portfolio management. The primary purpose of the CFA® program is to provide a fundamental knowledge of global investment management principles.
CMA Designation: The CMA program tests and validates expertise in areas essential to analyzing, managing and evaluating business solutions that contribute to the success of an organization. Those who have earned the CMA credential have demonstrated both technical competencies and an understanding of the linkage between strategy and financial performance, grounded in a firm commitment to upholding strict professional ethical standards.
CIA Designation: The CIA designation is the only globally accepted certification for internal auditors and remains the standard by which individuals demonstrate their competency and professionalism in the internal auditing field. Attaining the CIA designation outwardly indicates your achievement and commitment to the profession. Furthermore, it offers your additional expertise and thorough knowledge of operations. The CIA is a valuable resource to executive management and boards in accomplishing overall goals and objectives. The CIA designation makes a world of difference, no matter where you choose to practice internal auditing.
Institute of Quality Management (IQM)
Acting Director: T. Wahdan
Established in 1994, the Institute of Quality Management became one of the pioneering institutions in total quality management in Egypt and the Middle East. The institute promotes quality disciplines and systems in the business and healthcare sectors. It offers a wide range of educational, training and technical assistance programs for organizations and individuals in the area of quality management. The Institute of Quality Management is supported by a team of experienced, qualified practitioners with substantial hands-on experience to turn quality management principles and concepts into practice. The institute’s programs and activities are divided into segments namely, education and training for the business sector and education and training for healthcare providers.
1. Professional Postgraduate Diplomas (Accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities in Egypt subject to renewal every 3 years)
1.1) Total Quality Management & Quality Management Systems (TQMG). The program is designed to qualify participants to be successful quality managers and provide them with the necessary skills to lead their companies when establishing quality, Six Sigma, or environmental management systems that satisfy the requirements of international standards such as ISO 9000 and ISO 14000. The program also provides participants with about 70% of the body of knowledge of the “Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence” certificate from the American Society for Quality (ASQ) in the United States of America. The program encompasses six courses as follow:
• Standards for Quality and Environmental Management Systems
• Planning for Top Quality
• The Basic Six Sigma Breakthrough Improvement Process
• Statistical Quality Control
• Managing the Quality Functions
• Project Management
2. Certificate Programs
2.1) Certified Quality Inspector. The certificate is designed for quality technicians to enhance their skills in analyzing quality problems, preparing inspection plans and work instructions, measuring process performance, and preparing formal reports using fundamental statistical methods. The certificate duration is two semesters. It covers several topics, i.e.: Quality Definition and Tools, System Structures and Quality, Quality Audit and Standards, Statistical Methods, Auditing and Inspection, Process of Quality Development
2.2) Programs offered in the area of Six Sigma: The Institute of Quality Management offers, in collaboration with Quality of America, the following Sigma training certification:
a) Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certificate. (LSSGB) A Green Belt is an employee of the organization who will participate in a Six Sigma project team. Green Belts are employees trained in Basic Six Sigma concepts, including project management, team building, general problem solving and statistical analysis. They work on part-time basis, as part of a team assigned to a given project while maintaining their operational roles in the organization.
b) Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certificate. (LSSBB) The internationally recognized Lean Black Belt certificate is considered among the highest professional qualification in the field of Six Sigma. A Black Belt is an employee at a managerial level or a technical specialist who is assigned the full responsibility to implement Six Sigma throughout the business unit. Black Belts are on site Six Sigma implementation experts, with the ability to develop, coach and lead cross-functional process improvement teams. The program consists of four modules; each module is about 50 training hours. Practical application of training is performed through each participant’s project and reviewed throughout the program. Additionally the application of Six Sigma methodology to the different business types: Manufacturing, Development, and Transactional processes are emphasized.
2.4) Attendance Certificate of Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CQOE). The program prepares participants for the exam of “Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence” held by the American Society for Quality (ASQ). This exam was held for the first time in Egypt in October 2000 at the Institute of Quality Management, which is one of ASQ’s international centers. The Institute of Quality Management has developed the training material required to cover the knowledge for the certified quality manager exam, and continuously works to make the program competitive and unique in the marketplace. Participants shall be granted a certificate of attendance from the American University in Cairo. Program covers several topics, i.e. Leadership, Strategic Plan Development and Deployment, Management Elements and Methods, Quality Management Tools, Focused Organizations, Supply Chain Management, Training and Development.
2.6) Attendance Certificate for the “Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP) APICS; the association for operations management is the global leader and premier source of the body of knowledge in the operations management area>This program helps prepare participants to successfully pass the CSCP exam by APICS and provides essential concepts related to customer and supplier relationships, continuous improvement, distribution requirement planning, global logistics and international business as well as e-business vision and strategy.
2.7) Attendance Certificate for the “Certification in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM ) ”This Program helps prepare participants to successfully pass the CPIM exam by APICS and provides the essential concepts and strategies related to demand management, procurement and supplier planning, materials requirement planning, sales and operations planning. It will allow you to master scheduling performance measurements, supplier relationships, quality control and continuous improvement.
3. Short Courses:
The Institute of Quality Management offers short courses, i.e.: Six Sigma Yellow Belt, Basics of Demand Forecasting, Basics of Supply Chain Management, Basics of Purchasing Management, Basics of Warehouse Management, Six Sigma Orange Belt, Six Sigma Champion, Understanding the Six Sigma, Statistical Quality Control, ISO 9006 – 12008, Developing the ISO 9000 – Documentation, Internal Quality Management System Auditing, Establishing an Environmental Management System, Quality Cost How to turn it into Profit, Environmental Management System Audit.
The Institute of Quality Management offers a wide range of tailor-made programs based on contractual basis and clients needs assessment.
The Citadel Capital Financial Services Center
Director: Eskandar Tooma
Established in 2006, the Citadel Capital Financial Services Center (CCFC) is the first of its kind in the Middle East to offer students, researchers and professionals an exciting, state-of-the-art instructional facility that integrates hands-on financial services practice into classroom financial concepts such as securities trading, risk management and asset allocation.
CCFC’s mission is to enhance financial education and research through the use of high-tech financial information technology, to fulfill the need for real and timely financial data flow and to contribute to the development of new financial products and applications through the array of financial software and tools.
Through providing professional services that cater to students, researchers and the community, the center’s involvement expands beyond just data and technology.
Over the past five years, CCFC has strived to establish partnerships with top international information and training providers. CCFC has partnered with Thomson Reuters, Nooz.com, and Egypt for Information Dissemination to offer AUC students and faculty access to a wide range of databases with comprehensive and timely financial data, news, and research reports. However, CCFC’s partnerships are dynamic and go beyond access to financial databases to include certification programs and training workshops.
Programs and Services
CCFC’s role has encompassed designing and delivering innovative student-centered activities including mini-classes, workshops, guest lecture, competitions and training programs that contribute to developing individuals with strong financial and analytical skills. Over 1000 AUC students, faculty and professionals have benefited from our resources and services over the past six years.
CCFC has launched “CCFC Student Academy,” which aims at enhancing the finance curriculum with interactive training modules to increase the marketability of AUC students. In collaboration with Thomson Reuters, CCFC hosts “Reuters Academy Certification Program” offering students an opportunity to become certified users of Thomson Reuters’ financial databases.
In an effort to promote financial knowledge and raise awareness of the latest developments in the financial markets among the AUC Community, CCFC jointly publishes a quarterly newsletter with Thomson Reuters and a weekly newsletter with Noozz.com covering local, regional and international market performance.
CCFC is also an accredited training provider by the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments (CISI) and offers professional training programs, such as Advanced Corporate Financial Modeling and Risk in Financial Services among others.
During the coming period, CCFC will continue extending imperative educational goal of creating an innovative and interactive learning environment to develop future market leaders and enhance financial professionals’ know-how.
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women Entrepreneurship and Leadership Program
Director: M. ElShinnawy
Established 2008, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women Entrepreneurship and Leadership Program is part of the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women Initiative. 10,000 Womenis a five-year investment by Goldman Sachs to provide 10,000 underserved women around the world with a business and management education.
The 10,000 Women program at AUC in partnership with the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania is committed to enhancing the growth and development of women entrepreneurs in the Arab Region through a unique blend of classroom learning, mentoring and networking activities. To date, the program has graduated 235 entrepreneurs.
El-Khazindar Business Research and Case Center (KCC)
Director: A. Tolba
KCC is the first case center in Egypt and was established in 2007 with the mission of bridging the gap between theory and practice. The center publishes case studies and offers other educational techniques including simulations to provide students with participant-centered learning tools. The center’s main goal is to serve as a resource for faculty members in the school of business and the region and to build capacity in the development of quality case studies in areas related to business in the Middle East and North Africa. In addition, the center promotes the use of case studies as learning tools to provide students with opportunities to integrate and apply skills and techniques learned in the classroom to real world situations, and to prepare graduates for successful careers as business leaders in the region. The center aims at serving its various stakeholders including students, Faculty, industry, and training companies, through providing them with high-quality cases and business research on the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. Its services are dedicated to improving the quality of business education, connecting businesses and students in the region, and ultimately contributing to the betterment of the society through academic research and practical applications.
Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D)
Director: Nagla Rizk
Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D) was established in 2010. It is a center for academic scholarship, research and policy analysis on access to knowledge for development in Egypt and the Arab world. A2K4D promotes multi disciplinary research meant to further conceptualize and investigate the economic, legal, political and social issues confronting access to knowledge in Egypt and the region. Based on solid theoretical foundations, A2K4D research offers rigorous empirical analysis of public policy in areas as diverse as ICTs, software, health, trade, education, culture and agriculture. A2K4D research will provide policy makers, negotiators and internal representatives with well-researched intellectual property alternatives, recognizing the relationship between knowledge and human development. Rsearch would also help devise well thought-out business models that address the tension between the interests of knowledge users and producers.
A2K4D will serve as a regional research hub for A2K scholars, working toward developing a strong network of academic researchers with partners from civil society, industry, policy bodies and other stakeholders. A2K4D works in close collaboration with the overall global A2K movement and partners within the Access to Knowledge Global Academy (A2KGA), including the Information Society Project at Yale Law School and sister institutions from Brazil, China, India and South Africa.
Engineering and Science Services
Director: M. Farag
Engineering Services was initiated in 1983 with the objective of strengthening the relationship between the School of Sciences and Engineering at AUC and local industry. Its mission is to provide high quality training and service to the industrial community in Egypt and the Middle East. More than 600 public-and -private sector companies and governmental agencies have benefitted from the programs offered by Engineering and Science Services and many of them are now regular clients.
In fulfillment of its mission, Engineering and Science Services offer a wide variety of programs and services that are designed for practicing engineers and scientists in a wide range of specializations. The following is an overview of the activities.
- Engineering and science development programs consist of intensive short courses that are held over five days (30 hours of training) and cover architecture, biomedical sciences, computer applications, corrosion and failure analysis, construction engineering, materials and manufacturing, environmental sciences and engineering, health and safety, project management, food and beverage industry, industrial engineering, mechanical power, petroleum and gas industry, and testing and quality control.
- Special training programs are tailor-made courses which are intended for personnel of a given organization on a particular topic. The programs can be given in-house or at AUC.
- Certification Programs to help professionals in Egypt and the region gain certification and licensure from international organizations in the USA including the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES), the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE), Project Management Institute (PMI), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), as well as the International Project Management Association (IPMA) in Europe.
- Industrial research and advisory services involve short-term projects that are aimed at solving specific problems or supplying information in a given field to users of this service and long-term projects that are conducted according to a mutually acceptable contract. Such services also include testing of mechanical, physical , chemical and structural properties of metals, plastics and composites, as well as construction materials and concrete.
- Professional Programs provide engineers and scientists with in-depth training in a given field. Each profession program consist of six semester-long courses (45 contact hours each), which can be completed in one year or longer. A professional certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the program requirements. The professional certificates are currently offered in the fields of:
a) Project management equips professionals with modern techniques in management of engineering
b) Computer Aided Engineering enables engineers to effectively apply up-to-date computer-based
techniques in their areas of interest.
c) Environmental Engineering introduces engineers to different disciplines of environmental quality
assessment, management and control.
d) Occupational Health, safety and Environmental Control (HSE) (OSHA) trains participants on how to
prevent accidents in the workplace and to respond efficiently if presented with a dangerous situation.
e) Information Technology trains engineers, managers and other individuals to become IT-professionals
and to develop techniques in this field.
f) Contractual & Legal Aspects in Construction Industry gives engineers, lawyers and accountants who
are involved in the construction industry in-depth knowledge about the competitive use of contracts in
g) Building Protection, Repair and Maintenance informs engineers about the latest developments in this
area and trains them to become supervisors of repair and maintenance activities.
h) Real Estate Appraisal and Valuation Expert helps participants build a career in managing a real estate
agency and property management.
I) Welding Engineering introduces engineers to different welding techniques, technologies, metallurgy,
consumables and welding design. This program is also offered online as distance education.
j) Pressure Vessels and Piping is offered in collaboration with the American Society of Mechanical
Engineers (ASME) and allows practicing engineers from Egypt and the Middle East to benefit from the
ASME training programs
k) Engineering Management Professional Certification (EMPC) enables engineers to bridge the career
gag between engineering and management and prepares them to sit for the certification examinations of
Association of Engineering Managers (AEM) and Professional Engineering Managers (PEM)
l) Preparation courses for Project Management Certification. Preparation courses are offered in
collaboration with PMI MENA Chapter in Egypt for the Project Management Professional (PMP)
Certification. In addition, preparation courses for the International Project Management Association (IPMA)
Certification are offered in collaboration with RS Management Consulting House.
Kamal Adham Center for Television and Digital Journalism
Director: H. Al Mirazi
The professional development program offered by the Kamal Adham Center for Television and Digital Journalism is designed for those who are currently working in or hoping to work in print and digital journalism or other professional activities directly related to television journalism. Program courses are offered in flexible formats to accommodate the needs of working professionals. The five-week program meets twice or three times each week, for a total of 30 teaching hours. Intensive workshops can be tailored upon request. The contents of the courses offered are both theoretical and practical, with more concentration on the practical workshops. The center’s instructors for this program have both academic and professional experience in the field of television journalism. Past courses offered by the PDP include video editing, video camera operation, still photography, television news script writing, documentary film-making, and voice coaching in Arabic.
The Kamal Adham Center can, upon request, arrange for custom-designed courses and training offered to Arab news and advertising organizations–television, radio, online or print–on-site or at the center. These specialized courses can cover the specific training needs of journalists in these organizations.
Courses are conducted in English and Arabic.
For more information, visit our website at http://www.aucegypt.edu/GAPP/kacj/ProfDev/Pages/Default.aspx.
GAPP Executive Education
Director: Dina Wafa
Launched and initiated under the School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, GAPP Executive Education offers programs targeted at practitioners in public organizations, drawing on faculty members from leading institutions in the region and the world. These institutions, which have developed partnerships with GAPP, include George Washington University (United States), Lee Kuan School of Public Policy (Singapore) and Dubai School of Government (United Arab Emirates), among others. The aim of its programs which cover topics pertaining to current issues within the region, is to meet needed demand from growing government agencies, public institutions, and executives who want to learn and enable creative methods to address such issues and challenges.
Mission: GAPP Executive Education’s mission is to provide education and training opportunities that serve to reinforce and reinvigorate leadership capacities within government agencies and public institutions in a challenging environment within Egypt and the region.
GAPP Executive Education provides innovative solutions through the following:
- Open Enrollment Programs: cover current trends and needs and are offered in collaboration with prominent institutions.
- Customized Programs: tailored to the specific needs of organizations and institutions.
- Transforming Public Service: TPS programs primarily focused on leadership and governance incorporating new trends to promote development, accountability and transparency in government agencies.
For more information visit: http://www.aucegypt.edu/gapp/execed/Pages/GappExecEd.aspx