Click on any of the following links for information:
The University provides extensive continuing education and training programs to meet the needs of a wide variety of individuals and organizations in Egypt and the Middle East. This section gives a brief description of the programs offered by the School of Continuing Education, the Management Center, Engineering and Science Services, and the Center for Electronic Journalism. The training programs offered by the Desert Development Center and Social Research are described under their entries in the section on research. For more information about continuing education and training programs, please consult the publications listed by the respective unit or visit the AUC website.
School of Continuing Education
Vice President for Continuing Education and Dean: E. Simpson
Associate Dean for Instructional Affairs: B. Moussa
Associate Dean for Educational Support Services: W. El Bakary
Associate Dean for Finance and Administration: W. Galal
Assistant Dean: Deena Boraie
Established in 1924, as AUC Division of Extension, the School of Continuing Education (SCE) plays a vital role in community outreach and educational programming in Egypt and the Middle East. SCE originally served as an information center, supporting lectures, films and seminars. From its early beginning, courses, programs and certificates were added, originally in the areas of English language and business and later Arabic language and translation, computers, youth programs, foreign languages, teacher education and logistics management. Today SCE’s instructional programs are divided into five divisions: Arabic and Translation Studies, Business Studies, Computer and Information Technology Studies, English Studies and Youth and Special Studies. Instruction is offered through regular and customized course offerings. Instruction takes place at AUC’s Tahrir, Zamalek and Heliopolis locations and at the newly established John D. Gerhart Field Station in El Gouna. SCE’s programs confer professional certificates as well as grant achievement certificates.
SCE Mission Statement
The mission of the School of Continuing Education (SCE) is to extend the resources of the American University in Cairo to Egypt and the region.
In carrying out this mission, the School of Continuing Education
- develops a variety of standardized and customized non-credit education and training programs for individuals as well as for the businesses and companies in which they may be employed;
- designs programs for personal enrichment across the lifespan;
- works with faculty throughout the university to assist and facilitate the design and delivery of programs to nontraditional audiences often beyond campus boundaries;
- serves as an incubator for the development and testing of new program ideas and projects at the university.
SCE Instructional Divisions
The Arabic and Translation Studies Division offers classes in translation and simultaneous interpreting designed to provide a professional foundation in the interdisciplinary nature and practice of translation and interpretation. An intensive program in the training of Modern Standard Arabic and Spoken Arabic of Cairo Teachers and courses in colloquial Egyptian Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic are also offered.
The Business Studies Division meets the diverse needs of today’s Egyptian and Middle Eastern business markets by offering mini-certificates, professional certificates, advanced professional certificates and certificates of attendance. The certificates provide students and clients with the necessary abilities to succeed in positions in the areas of sales and marketing, accounting, investment and finance, e-business, supervisory management and travel and tourism.
The Business Studies Division is an authorized training center for international associations such as the Cambridge Career Award. The division also offers review programs in the areas of accounting, investment and management such as the Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) and Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
The Computer and Information Technology Studies Division offers the full spectrum of Information Technology courses including programming, computer networking, database management, web designing, multimedia authoring, computer graphics production and e-learning programming.
The Computer and Information Technology Studies Division is a Cisco Regional Academy providing the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) international certification to those who are trained on the technical advancement of networking. The Division is a member of the Microsoft IT Academy Program.
The Computer and Information Technology Studies Division is an authorized training and testing center for the International Computer Driving License (ICDL) certificate. Training also takes place at several SCE sites and the international certificate is granted under the sponsorship of the UNESCO Office in Cairo.
The English Studies Division provides general English language courses at all levels of proficiency, as well as customized courses for members of various professions and for students preparing for the TOEFL, SAT and the Egyptian preparatory and secondary school certificate examinations and intensive, specialized English language courses for students enrolled in or preparing for SCE professional certificate programs. The English Studies Division is experienced in providing nationally and internationally recognized pre-and in-service English language teacher training through its institutional relationships to governmental agencies with the responsibility for improvement of education in Egypt. An example of this is the Ministry of Education’s Language Methodology and Development Program, the first teacher-training program of its kind in Egypt to be conducted via interactive videoconferencing.
The Division also organizes and hosts the annual international Skills Conference - for language education
The Youth and Special Studies Division offers German, Spanish and French language courses for adults, German, English and computer courses for young learners, art courses, and an annual Junior Summer Program for youth between the ages of 6-14 years. The Division also offers customized and tutorial courses, seminars and workshops for the benefit of the general public and individual organizations as well as providing comprehensive administrative and logistical management support services for training programs, workshops and conferences.
SCE has also begun a post baccalaureate professional certificate program for teachers and administrators.
Providing assessment and proposals’ support to the instructional divisions are the Educational Assessment and Quality Assurance and the Proposals Units. Other SCE organizational offices that provide services to the entire school are Educational Support Services, the Finance and Administration, the Communications and Marketing, and Smart Village offices.
AUC Smart Village
SCE operates an office at the Smart Village, which serves as a portal to the University for all AUC activities.
For More Information
Information on SCE’s courses, programs and Catalog may be obtained from:
School of Continuing Education
The American University in Cairo
28 Falaki Street, Bab El-Louk, P.O. Box 2511
11511 Cairo, Egypt
Telephone: (20-2) 797-6853
Fax: (20-2) 792- 2643
Director: Mohsen El Shamaa
The School of Business, Economics and Communication in the American University in Cairo, is home to one of the region’s principal executive development training institutions. In 1977, the Management Center (MC) was established as a center of excellence to serve Egypt and the region, introducing professional development programs using a modern perspective of delivery and incorporating the latest management concepts and techniques. In 1988, the MC moved to its current location in the Jameel Center that was a gift to the American university in Cairo from a long-time benefactor and philanthropist, Sheikh Abdul Latif Jameel.
The MC provides executive management education to more than 10,000 executives and trainees annually in its different programs and projects. The MC alumni number to date is more than 120,000 executives and trainees from Egypt and the region dedicated to continued networking, professional development and educational activities. The executive development programs presented by the MC cover a wide variety of offerings including; postgraduate diplomas, professional certificates, executive seminars, short courses and workshops in addition to tailor-made programs totaling over 300 different topics and titles.
The MC is comprised of three institutes: Institute of Management Development (IMD), Institute of Banking and Finance (IBF) and Institute of Quality Management (IQM).
Institute of Management Development (IMD)
Director: Aly Ismail
The Institute of Management Development (IMD) was founded in 1977 to provide the professional development seekers with a strong foundation in current theory, and the latest management concepts and techniques. The mission of the Institute of Management Development is to consistently strive to deliver and provide quality services in executive training and professional development. To achieve this, the institute affiliates with reputable international institutions offering the latest in management concepts.
In fulfilling its mission, the Institute of Management Development is currently offering the following postgraduate diplomas and professional certificates as part of its portfolio of programs which also includes an executive seminar series:
- The American University in Cairo’s Healthcare and Hospital Management Diploma. This is a postgraduate diploma accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities. The diploma encompasses six courses covering the following areas: management functions, human resource strategies, marketing, information systems, finance and accounting, and total quality management (improving medical performance).
- The American University in Cairo’s Executive Management Diploma. This is a postgraduate diploma accredited by the supreme council of universities. This three semester program offers a comprehensive overview of management issues. The diploma encompasses nine courses covering the following areas: strategic management, sales and marketing, accounting, finance, organization behavior, leadership, entrepreneurship, operations management, and management information technology.
- The American University in Cairo’s Human Resource Management Diploma. This is a postgraduate diploma accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities. The diploma focuses on issues of planning, directing and development of human resources in organizations. The diploma encompasses six courses covering the following areas: human resource planning, staffing, development and evaluation, compensation, governance and human resource information systems. Specialization areas in personnel planning, recruiting and placement; compensation, incentives and benefits; and training, development and employee capacity are now offered.
- The American University in Cairo’s Sales Management Diploma. This is a postgraduate diploma accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities. The sales management professional diploma is designed to prepare sales professionals with the essential management skills to enable them to compete and grow in today’s professional environment. The certificate encompasses three courses covering the following areas: the selling process, setting the sales plan and implementing the sales plan.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Security, Industrial Safety and Environmental Protection. This professional certificate covers three areas, namely, buildings security, industrial safety, environmental protection and counterfeiting and faking. Building security covers the modern techniques for building protection, the modern methods of controlling buildings, planning for handling fires, emergencies and natural disasters, and the modern methods of investigating internal accidents. Industrial safety and environmental protection covers the effective planning for fire prevention, raising the safety standards for manufacturing buildings, and the security procedures for handling toxic petroleum. The final area of counterfeiting and faking covers the modern methods of detecting counterfeiting and faking of documents and currencies.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Entrepreneurship. The Professional Entrepreneurship Certificate is specifically designed to meet the needs of new entrepreneurs who wish to establish their own small business or enhance their career prospects through the development of entrepreneurial skills and competencies. The certificate encompasses four courses covering the areas of entrepreneurship: starting your own business, accounting principles for small businesses, small business management, and effective small business guerilla marketing.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Information Technology Management. The professional certificate in information technology management emphasizes the abilities and techniques necessary for the effective handling of information and the development of technological skills. The program encompasses nine courses covering the areas of information technology and information systems, information technology project management, competitive strategy, business process and organizational change, database management systems, information systems and collaborative work, information systems security and managing in the digital economy.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Electronic Business. The diffusion of information and communication technology has created an unprecedented new force in the global economy. The professional Electronic Business certificate is developed to address the needs and changes in the local and global markets. The certificate encompasses four courses covering the areas of eBusiness foundations, eBusiness marketing, eBusiness environment and eBusiness start-up.
- The American University in Cairo’s Advanced Professional Certificate in Electronic Business. The diffusion of information and communication technology has created an unprecedented new force in the global economy. The professional Electronic Business advanced certificate is developed to address the needs and changes in the local and global markets. The advanced certificate encompasses four courses covering the areas of eBusiness online banking and investment, eService and eApplications, eBusiness models and eBusiness strategy.
- The American University in Cairo’s Electronic Business Diploma. This diploma will be awarded to participants who successfully complete both professional certificates in electronic Business. The postgraduate diploma is accredited by the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities. Each participant should cover a real-life-case and application and show in-depth analysis and presentation of the findings.
- The American University in Cairo’s Advanced Professional Certificate in Electronic Business Technology. The fusion of information and communication technology has created an unprecedented new force in the global economy. The professional Electronic Business Technology advanced certificate is developed to address the needs and changes in the local and global markets. The advanced certificate encompasses six courses covering the areas of web- based programming, database design, system analysis and design, web-based graphics, web-based images and web-based animation.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Office Management. The office management certificate assists participants to upgrade their level of understanding and to improve their contribution to the company through the skills that convey a professional image. The certificate focuses on issues of business etiquette and protocol, communication, effective planning. The professional certificate encompasses four courses covering the following areas: interpersonal and communication skills, management skills, computing skills and application development.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Real Estate Management. The professional certificate is offered in alliance with the Egyptian Real Estate Association. The recent developments in the local, regional, and international economic markets have all pointed towards the need for a new breed of real estate professionals. By providing a solid overview of the various disciplines of the real estate industry, this certificate enables professionals to gain a deeper insight into the world of real estate, and its effect on the economy, providing participants with the skills they need to succeed in today’s market.
- The American University in Cairo’s Professional Certificate in Pharmaceutical Management. The certificate is offered in alliance with Promark Corporation Limited Egypt. Staying ahead in today’s competitive pharmaceutical industry requires fundamental knowledge and understanding of the market. This certificate prepares employees for managerial roles in the pharmaceutical service sector and will enable a wide range of professionals to enhance their management education. This program will also empower professionals to practice according to internationally accepted standards of ethical and professional behavior.
- The American University in Cairo’s Business Advisor Program. The goal of the program is to develop the participants’ knowledge and practical skills in business development services (BDS) / industrial extension approaches, concepts, best practices and applications in BDS organizations supporting Small and Medium Enterprises. Participants will learn how to identify business opportunities, screen and select the most suitable one and prepare a business plan for the selected business opportunity. Also participants will be required to apply diagnostic tools in marketing, production, organization and finance on the actual business of selected client entrepreneurs.
- The American University in Cairo’s Executive Seminars and Workshop Series. The Institute of Management Development offers a number of seminars, workshops and short courses in different management concepts, theories and applications.
In parallel to the American University in Cairo’s diplomas and professional certificates, the Institute of Management Development allies with the following international educational and professional institutions, to offer their accredited reputable professional diplomas and certificates.
- The Integrated Marketing Communications Diploma of the International Advertising Association (IAA). The internationally recognized diploma is considered among the highest professional qualifications in the growing fields of marketing, communication and advertising. The International Advertising Association, in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development diploma encompasses eight courses covering the following areas: principles of marketing, principles of advertising, marketing research, consumer behavior, advertising strategies, media fundamentals, integrated marketing communication and desktop publishing.
- The Marketing Certificate of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). In a fast changing world of employment, it is particularly useful for those moving into marketing roles from other backgrounds to learn marketing fundamentals. This British professional certificate, in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development covers the areas of marketing fundamentals, customer communication, marketing environment and marketing in practice.
- The Marketing Professional Diploma of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). This professional diploma is ideal for marketers concerned with managing the marketing process at an operational level and those interested in building on their knowledge with a future in management role in mind. The British professional certificate, in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development covers the areas of marketing operations, marketing customer interface, management information for marketing decisions and effective management for marketing.
- The International Trade and Marketing Specialist Certificate of the International Import-Export Institute (IIEI). The International Import-Export Institute (IIEI), the international authority certifying the proficiency of import export trade professionals worldwide, is offering in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development the Certified International Trade Marketing Specialist program. The certificate encompasses three courses covering the areas of exporting and importing skills, global culture and global marketing.
- The International Trade Professional Certificate of the International Import-Export Institute (IIEI). The International Import-Export Institute (IIEI), the international authority certifying the proficiency of import export trade professionals worldwide, is offering in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development the Certified International Trade Professional program. The certificate encompasses six courses covering the areas of exporting and importing skills, global culture and global marketing, global finance, documentation for the global village, and 21st century international logistics.
- The Public Relations Diploma of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations. PR is fast becoming one of the most valuable management tools. It has a whole range of titles and functions: public affairs, corporate communications and investors’ relations among others. Whether it realizes it or not, any business is already engaged in PR activities one way or another, with a concrete contribution to its competitive edge and market growth. By raising the profile of PR, a business is simply acknowledging and taking charge of an activity that is already happening around.
- The Certified Associate Business Manager Program of the American Chamber of Commerce in Egypt. This program is suitable for applicants who may not have worked in the business field or do not hold undergraduate degrees in business. The CABM ensures that participants acquire a strong foundation in business principles that they can in their fields of work leading to better efficiency.
- The Sales and Marketing Certificate of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management (ISMM). This program is offered to participants who are or would like to be involved in face to face sales and telesales. The world of sales and marketing demands increased professionalism, requiring sales people to shift from ‘hard selling’ to ‘smart selling’. This program helps participants to become value creators and adopt consultative selling approaches that include market analysis and planning.
- The Sales and Marketing Advanced Certificate of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management (ISMM). This certificate is more advanced, of longer duration and aimed at sales professionals who would like to go into more depth.
- The Strategic Sales Diploma of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management (ISMM). This is an in –depth program aimed participants who are are sales managers or would like to enter that field. The program provides the necessary management skills for sales and marketing professionals.
The American University in Cairo’s Crises and Disasters Management Diploma. This postgraduate diploma is offered in collaboration with the Postgraduate College of the Police Academy. The program is aimed at developing the scientific and practical experience of staff and managerial and technical leaders working in security and service organizations in coping and dealing with crises and disasters.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)’s Construction Project Supervisors Certificate. The objective of this certificate is to master the construction project structure and to stay abreast with the recent developments in the engineering field. The certificate encompasses five courses covering the areas of construction project administration and claims avoidance, management and leadership skills for new engineers, planning, usage, and analysis of project scheduling, preparing civil engineers to work effectively and financial analysis, marketing, and human relations. The certificate is delivered by the Institute of Business Development, in collaboration with the Institute of Management Development.
Institute of Banking and Finance (IBF)
Director: Heba El Alfi
The Institute of Banking and Finance was founded in 1987 to meet the increasing need for specialized programs in the areas of banking, finance and investment. Due to the introduction of new economic systems and the expansion of international banking and the promotion of foreign investments in Egypt and the Middle East, the institute caters to the needs of professionals and executives by introducing them to the latest trends and applications in the areas of international business, foreign investment, corporate finance, and investment banking.
The Institute of Banking and Finance implements a number of programs and certificates addressing local and regional needs and requirements, offering the following professional designations among its portfolio of courses and programs:
- The American University in Cairo’s Certified Banking Credit and Risk Management Specialist. The program focuses on all aspects of Banking Credit whether short-term, medium-term or long-term and risk management. It is a vital program for those who work in credit departments in banks and financial institutions as it incorporates the concepts and knowledge creditors need to be familiar with the credit environment. This program is delivered through case studies and applications.
- The American University in Cairo’s Certified Investment Specialist. The program is designed to suit participants interested in building a strong foundation in the areas of capital market and investment. The program applies mainly to the Egyptian capital market, providing exposure to the structure of all major instruments, as well as the analysis and techniques for trading securities and brokerage. It covers valuation of assets, portfolio management and technical analysis.
- The American University in Cairo’s Certified Corporate Finance Specialist Designation. In the increasingly competitive Egyptian Environment, firms need to ensure they are properly developing a practical approach to their Corporate and Project Finance Strategies. In this program, participants will acquire both a technical and theoretical approach to a variety of finance techniques. They will also be introduced to different projects, including awareness of opportunities and risks associated with each type of project.
- The Institute of Banking and Finance in collaboration with Securities and Investment Institute - London; most widely respected professional training provider in the securities and investment industry in the UK offer introduction to Investment and Securities program. This program is designed as part of capital market authority efforts to licence the brokers operating in the Egyptian securities brokerage companies. The program emphasizes on the investment industry with a tailored and focused approach to international markets, offers practitioners a wide range of valuable understanding of the language of the industry and provides the firms with a benchmark entry level qualifications.
- Institute of Management Accountants Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Learning System. The IMA learning System program prepares candidates for the CMA exam by reviewing the following four parts. The first part includes business analysis. The second part covers management accounting and reporting. The third part includes strategic management. The fourth part focuses on business applications.
- Becker Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Exam Review Program. This program infuses the latest technology into classrooms to enhance Becker’s proven work-and-remember learning system in preparing candidates for the CPA exam, which consists of four parts; financial accounting and reporting, auditing and attestation, regulation and business environment and concept.
- BeckerStalla/Devry Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) Exam Review Program. This program is divided into three levels. Candidates must complete three exams sequentially. They may sit for only one examination each year. Level I of the program focuses on the tools and concepts of investment valuation and portfolio management. Level II focuses on asset valuation. Level III focuses on portfolio management and asset allocation.
- Power Resources Corporation Certified Internal Auditor (CIA). The program is a valuable resource to executive management and boards of directors in accomplishing overall goals and objectives. Being a CIA gives you the professional ability to efficiently control, identify risks, and examine remedies with respect to current practice of internal auditing. The CIA consists of 4 parts.
Institute of Quality Management (IQM)
Director: Samia Abdel Latif
Established in 1994, the Institute of Quality Management became one of the pioneering institutions in total quality management in Egypt and the Middle East. The institute promotes quality disciplines and systems in the business and healthcare sectors. It offers a wide range of educational, training and technical assistance programs for organizations and individuals in the area of quality management. The Institute of Quality Management is supported by a team of experienced, qualified practitioners with substantial hands-on experience to turn quality management principles and concepts into practice. The institute’s programs and activities are divided into segments namely, education and training for the business sector and education and training for healthcare providers.
Programs Offered for the Business Sector
- Diploma in Total Quality Management with an emphasis on Six Sigma and ISO Systems Implementation. This is a post-graduate diploma accredited by the Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities. The program is designed to qualify participants to be successful quality managers and provide them with the necessary skills to lead their companies when establishing quality, Six Sigma, or environmental management systems that satisfy the requirements of international standards such as ISO 9000 and ISO 14000. The program also provides participants with about 70% of the body of knowledge of the “Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence” certificate from the American Society for Quality (ASQ) in the United States of America.
- The American Society for Quality (ASQ) Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (MQOE) Program. The program prepares participants for the exam of “Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence” held by the American Society for Quality (ASQ). This exam was held for the first time in Egypt in October 2000 at the Institute of Quality Management, which is one of ASQ’s international centers. The Institute of Quality Management has developed the training material required to cover the knowledge for the certified quality manager exam, and continuously works to make the program competitive and unique in the marketplace.
- Quality Technicians Professional Certificate. The certificate is designed for quality technicians to enhance their skills in analyzing quality problems, preparing inspection plans and work instructions, measuring process performance, and preparing formal reports using fundamentals statistical methods. The certificate duration is two semesters. It is offered in Arabic to ensure that participants gain the maximum benefit.
Programs Offered in the area of Six Sigma
The Institute of Quality Management offers in collaboration with Quality America-USA, the following Sigma training certification:
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certificate. The internationally recognized Lean Black Belt certificate is considered among the highest professional qualification in the field of Six Sigma. A Black Belt is an employee at a managerial level or a technical specialist who is assigned the full responsibility to implement Six Sigma throughout the business unit. Black Belts are on site Six Sigma implementation experts, with the ability to develop, coach and lead cross-functional process improvement teams. The program consists of four modules, each module is about 50 training hours. Practical application of training is performed through each participant’s project and reviewed throughout the program. Additionally the application of Six Sigma methodology to the different business types: Manufacturing, Development, and Transactional processes are emphasized.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certificate. A Green Belt is an employee of the organization who will participate in a Six Sigma project team. Green Belts are employees trained in Basic Six Sigma concepts, including project management, team building, general problem solving and statistical analysis. They work on part-time basis, as part of a team assigned to a given project while maintaining their operational roles in the organization.
Six Sigma Orange Belt Training. Orange Belts receive training that enables them to understand Six Sigma methodology. They are prepared to be good team members and support Black Belts and Green Belts. Our course is a four days course and aims at preparing Orange Belts to gather data, participate in problem solving and process mapping, and sustain the gains resulting from Six Sigma projects.
Supply Chain Certified Professional (SCCP). This professional certificate provides essential terminology, concepts, and strategies related to demand management, procurement and supplier planning, material requirements planning, capacity requirements planning, sales and operations planning, master scheduling, performance measurements, supplier relationships, quality control, and continuous improvement. The SCCP program qualifies participants to CPIM designation by APICS.
Programs Offered for the Healthcare Sector
- Diploma in Total Quality Management with an emphasis on Healthcare Reform. This is a three-semester post-graduate diploma accredited by the Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities. Each semester is twelve weeks long and covers two courses. Classes meet once a week. The six courses of the diploma are designed to provide the participants with the necessary background, together with hands-on-experience to implement what is learned in real practice context. The participants receive about 70% of the Body Knowledge required for the exam of the Health Care Quality Certification Board in the United States of America.
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) Preparatory Course. The course prepares participants to set for the exam of the National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) and obtain the Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) status.
- Nosocomial Infection Control Professional Certificate. This program is offered in collaboration with the Egyptian Society for Infection Control and the Egyptian Doctors’ Syndicate. It aims at providing participants with the skills necessary to establish and monitor an effective Infection Control System in their hospitals.
Engineering and Science Services
Director: M. Farag
Engineering Services was initiated in 1983 with the objective of strengthening the relationship between the School of Sciences and Engineering at AUC and local industry. Since then, Engineering and Science Services activities have steadily grown. More than one hundred forty public- and private-sector companies and governmental agencies use Engineering and Science Services, and more than one hundred of them are now regular clients.
Engineering and Science Services activities are performed by the AUC faculty in addition to professors from the national universities, engineers and scientists from industry and specialists from government agencies. The activities can be grouped into:
- Engineering and science development programs which consist of intensive short courses and are designed for practicing engineers and scientists in a wide range of specializations.
- Special training programs are tailor-made courses which are intended for personnel of a given organization on a particular topic. The programs can be given in-house or at AUC.
- Professional Program in Project Management trains engineers and other individuals to become project managers and equips them with modern techniques in this field. Six semester-long courses (45 contact hours each) are required for the Professional Certificate in Project Management.
- Professional Program in Computer Aided Engineering enables engineers to effectively apply up-to-date computer-based techniques in their areas of interest. Six semester-long courses (45 contact hours each) are required for the Professional Certificate in Computer-Aided Engineering.
- Professional Program in Environmental Engineering introduces engineers to different disciplines of environmental quality assessment, management and control. Six-semester-long courses (45 contact hours each) are required for the Professional Certificate in Environmental Engineering.
- Professional Program in Information Technology trains engineers, managers and other individuals to become IT-professionals and develop techniques in this field. Six semester-long courses (45 contact hours each) are required for the Professional Certificate in IT.
- Professional Program in Contractual & Legal Aspects in Constructions Industry gives engineers, lawyers and accountants who are involved in the construction industry in-depth knowledge about the competitive use of contracts in modern organizations.
- Professional Program in Building Protection, Repair and Maintenance informs engineers about the latest developments in this area and trains them to become supervisors of repair and maintenance activities. The program consists of six courses and a capstone project.
- Professional Program in Welding Engineering introduces engineers to different welding techniques, technologies, metallurgy, consumables and welding design. Six semester-long courses (45 contact hours each) are required for the Professional Certificate in Welding Engineering. This program is also offered online as distance education.
- Specialization Certificate in Pressure Vessels and Piping is offered in collaboration with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and allows practicing engineers from Egypt and the Middle East to benefit from the ASME training programs. The certificate consists of six courses and a project.
- Preparation courses for Project Management Certification. Preparation courses are offered in collaboration with PMI MENA Chapter in Egypt for the Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification. In addition, preparation courses for the International Project Management Association (IPMA) Certification are offered in collaboration with RS Management Consulting House.
- Industrial research involves long-term projects that are conducted according to a mutually acceptable contract.
- Advisory services are conducted on the basis of case-by-case contracts and cover short-term projects, aimed at solving specific problems or supplying information in a given field to users of this service.
Kamal Adham Center for Journalism Training and Research
Director: L. Pintak
The professional development program offered by the Kamal Adham Center for Journaslim Training and Research involves a set of non-academic courses designed for working professionals interested in expanding their skills in television, print and online journalism. Students include those already working in the field and those interested in becoming journalists or broadcast technicians.
The number of weeks and the number of hours of instruction per week vary according to the course. Programs can be tailored to the specific needs of companies, organizations or groups of individuals. Topics include television script writing and producing, digital camera operations and video editing, documentary production, business reporting, online journalism and a variety of other specialized subjects.
Courses are conducted in English and Arabic.
For more information or to register, please visit the professional development program website.